Create New Recurring Invoice
With ReliaBills, you can completely automate the creation of invoices. Recurring billing. Installment billing. Variable billing.
Start at the Invoices tab and then go to Recurring Invoices. Creating a recurring invoice is not that different than creating a single invoice. Start by selecting the customer. If you haven’t created any yet, go to Customers tab and create the new customer. Only Active customers are displayed in the drop down. So if you don’t see the customer you created, search for them in Customers and make sure their status is “Active”.
There are two sections in recurring invoices: The Recurring Profile (this defines when and how frequently invoices are to be generated). And the Invoice Details (this defines the invoice that is to be generated).
Let’s start with the Recurring Profile.
- First Invoice: Consistency is VERY important in recurring billing. The varying number of days per month can create a mess. That’s why we give you the option of having your invoices generated based on either a DUE date or a CREATE date. Use the drop down to have invoices DUE at the same day each period or CREATED on the same day. Example: do you want to have invoices CREATED on the first day of every month or DUE on the first day ?
- Days to Pay: Two dates are very important: the date an invoices is created and then the date the invoice is due. If, in step 1, you selected to have invoices generated based on CREATE date, then here you select how many days AFTER the create date the invoice would be DUE. If, in step 1, you selected to have invoices generated based on DUE date, then here you would select how many days BEFORE the due date invoice would be CREATED.
- Repeat Every: Use the drop down to have your invoices generated based on a defined number of days, months, years. For example, to have invoices automatically generated quarterly, enter “3” and then select “Month(s)”
- Total Number of Invoices to be Created: Leave this field blank if there is no fixed number of invoices to be created and payments to be made. However, if you are setting up a fixed number of payments such as an installment plan, enter the number of invoices to be created here.
- Details: This section is essential just for your information. Based on the information that was entered in the previous steps, here you will see when the next and the last invoices are to be created.
- Notifications: Here you can define whether or not you want to send each invoice to your customer when it is generated. Some business don’t want any notification. They just want to bill their client. In that case, select the “No” option. But if you want ReliaBills to send the invoice automatically when generated, select the “Yes” option. Some business have add-on fees in addition to the normal, recurring fee. ReliaBills allows you to benefit from automatically sending invoices…but here you can delay the automation by a few days. That gives you time to make any modifications or additions.
Here, you are essentially creating an invoice. You would follow the same steps as defined in Create New Invoice (see Invoices=>Create New Invoice). There are, however, just a few differences:
- Customer: You already identified the customer when you began creating the recurring template. So the customer appears here.
- Invoice Details: Remember, this is not an invoice. You are creating the logic for which invoices are to be generated. So in the template, these fields are not yet defined. They will be defined on each invoice that is generated.
- Generate Next Invoice: After clicking the save button, you are done. The system will automatically generate invoices as defined by the template. However, there are times when you may want to generate invoices manually. By clicking the button, you can “pre-generate” invoices. This is great if you need to adjust an invoice. All invoices generated by the template (automatically or manually) will show in the lower left (under “Invoices Generated”).