A degree in account is a highly sought-after achievement. Many people aspire to become certified licensed accountants provide accounting services while earning a steady income. The demand for accountants got us thinking: how long does it actually take for one to earn an accounting degree and become a full-fledged accountant? The answer depends on different factors.
This article will provide a quick overview of the length of time it will take for an aspiring accountant to reach their goals, and the factors to consider when choosing between programs. That way, you will have the right mindset and know how to plan your journey.
Let’s start by looking at how long it takes to get an Associate’s degree in accounting:
How Long Does It Take to Earn a Degree in Accounting?
The length of time it will take to earn an accounting degree will vary depending on the level of education and specific program. Generally, an individual can complete an associate’s degree in accounting in under two years. Meanwhile, a bachelor’s degree will take at least four years.
If you’re interested in pursuing a master’s degree in accounting, you will need an additional two years after completing a regular bachelor’s degree. In addition, pursuing certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) usually involves completing either a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree in accounting or some other business discipline as long as you undertake sufficient accounting classes.
It’s important to note that the length of time it takes to complete an accounting degree can also depend on factors such as:
- Whether you’re attending school full-time or part-time
- Whether you take courses online or in-person
- Whether you have any transfer credits from previous education or work experience.
How Long Does It Take to Earn an Accounting Degree Online ?
If you’re taking an online accounting degree, the time it takes to accomplish the course will vary depending on several factors; however, it generally follows a timeline similar to traditional on-campus accounting programs. If you want to pursue an online bachelor’s degree in accounting, earning this credential will usually be about three to four months.
Meanwhile, pursuing a master’s degree in accounting online will require an additional one to two years beyond completing an online or regular Bachelor’s degree. However, some schools offer accelerated online programs that allow students to complete their degrees more quickly, given that they have an appropriate number of credits. It’s also important to note that the time it takes to complete an online accounting degree can also depend on the same factors as completing a regular accounting degree.
How Long Does It Really Take to Become a Certified Accountant?
The time it takes to become an accountant can vary depending on your chosen career path and the level of education required for that position. Generally, becoming an accountant requires at least a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field, which typically takes four years to complete.
After completing your undergraduate degree, you may need to complete additional coursework or earn a graduate degree in accounting or another related field. This could take an additional one to two years.
In addition to education requirements, becoming a certified public accountant (CPA) often requires passing a certification exam and meeting other state-specific needs. This process will take several months to complete and can even extend depending on whether or not you passed the exam.
Tips to Shorten the Time It Takes to Become an Accountant
Becoming an accountant requires a solid educational foundation and practical experience in the field. While there is no shortcut to becoming an accountant, there are some tips that can help you accelerate your progress:
Choose an Accredited Accounting Program
Choosing an accredited accounting program that meets the education requirements for a certified public accountant (CPA) or other accounting certification is essential.
Take Additional Accounting Courses
In addition to your degree program, consider taking additional courses in accounting and related subjects, such as taxation, auditing, and financial reporting. This can help you better understand the field and make you more competitive in the job market.
Pursue Relevant Work Experience
Try to gain relevant work experience while you are still in school. Consider internships, co-op placements, or part-time work in an accounting firm to gain practical experience and make professional connections.
Consider pursuing certification as a CPA or other accounting professional. This can help you stand out in the job market and advance your career quickly.
Network with Other Accountants
Attend networking events, join professional organizations, and connect with other accounting professionals. This can help you gain insights into the industry, build relationships, and identify potential job opportunities.
Becoming an accountant takes time and effort, but following these tips can accelerate your progress and help you achieve your career goals more quickly.
How Long Does it Take to Create an Account in ReliaBills for Accountants?
Once you become an accountant, you’ll need many things to start your career. However, one thing you should never overlook is a solid billing system. That’s where ReliaBills comes in handy.
ReliaBills is a cloud-based invoicing and billing software designed to automate payment processes, reduce administrative overhead, and streamline payment processing duties. ReliaBills’ payment processing features include automated recurring billing, payment tracking, payment reminders, online payment processing, and much more!
Creating an account on ReliaBills is easy! Here’s a brief overview of the process for creating a billing system on ReliaBills:
- Sign up for an account: Go to www.reliabills.com and sign up for a free account. Provide your basic information about yourself and your business.
- Set up your account: Once you finish creating your account, you can start setting up your billing preferences, customize your invoice templates, and connect with your payment processor.
- Add your customers: To create a new invoice template, add your customer’s information to your account. You can add them manually or import a list via CSV file.
- Create your invoice: You can start creating your invoicing and payment processing system once you finish adding your customer list.
- Enter the customer’s name, the items or services you’re billing them for, and the amount due.
- You can also set up recurring invoices if you have customers that you bill on a regular basis or if you’re looking to transition to recurring billing.
- Send the invoice: After creating your invoice, you can send it to your customer through email. Your customer will receive a link to the invoice where they can review and verify the details and submit payment depending on your preferred mode of payment.
- Receive payment: When your customer submits payment, the funds will be deposited into your business bank account. ReliaBills integrates with various payment processors, including Stripe and PayPal, so you can choose the one that works best for your needs.
- Manage your accounts receivable: ReliaBills features an intuitive dashboard where you can track the status of your invoices, view payment history, and manage your accounts receivable processes.
All of this can be done in under 10 minutes!
With ReliaBills, you have an all-in-one solution to both invoicing and payment processing needs. That way, you can focus more on providing quality accounting services to your customers. Get started today! Visit www.reliabills.com to learn more.
Now that you know how long it takes to get an accounting degree and how easy it is to set up a billing system like ReliaBills, you have the information you need to start your accounting career. Getting an accounting degree can be a long process, but with the right guidance and mindset, you can achieve your goals and become a certified, licensed accountant in no time. Best of luck to you!